Sunday, January 3, 2010

October updates

Thursday October 29, 2009
This morning I mailed a letter to the editor about the proposed sale of NB Power to Quebec.I am so disenchanted with this government which is selling our natural resources to Quebec. The provincial politicians will tell you it is not a done deal, but they don’t act as if it were anything other than that. If Quebec wants New Brunswick’s hydro power and our corridor through to the States, let them purchase the power on a monthly basis and negotiate an annual fee for the corridor.

People are angry and that is good. The worst thing that we can do is to be passive and let this deal happen. Oddly enough, even though I sent the letter to the Daily Gleaner from my home email address, I received a Christmas card from the Premier at my office email address. Perhaps a gentle reminder that he knows where I work?


Saturday October 24, 2009
The feature article in the Fredericton Daily Gleaner titled “Endlessly Energetic” by Laverne Stewart made me a mini celebrity at work. Usually, I try and keep my work as a social worker separate from my writing life so few people at the hospital know that I am a published author. In the same way, few people from my “writing world” are aware that I am a hospital social worker. I have always compartmentalized my life and there is surprisingly little crossover even in a community as small as Fredericton. But for a week, I was greeted in the hall with, “I never knew you were a writer”, or more often, “When do you find the time to write?” as if writers have any choice in the matter.


Saturday October 17, 2009
The craft sale question.Is it worth lugging books to a craft sale or not? Not if you are interested only in sales of your books. I sold six that day in a four hour period. There was much consternation as it turned out that McAdam had scheduled a fund raising auction for the same time as the Lions Club sale, so we were severely down in attendance. But it was fun.

I talked to a number of people about the book. I learned that one of my neighbours had put the siding on our cottage, and another had carved his initials in the beams when he was part of the initial construction crew in 1954. I even got a recipe for fudge. Financially it was a bust, but the day was rich in other ways. There have been other craft sales where I have sold fifty books in an hour, so it is very hit and miss, but don’t go planning to make a lot of sales.

That evening I was invited to sell books at the NB Country Hall of Fame Gala, held at Fredericton High School. The building was absolutely frigid and by the time the performance started, I was ready to pack it in. But this is a friendly crowd and I had a wonderful time speaking with performers and attendees alike. Ivan and Vivian Hicks were there as was Joan Kennedy. I didn’t stay till the end – I was too cold, but it was a successful and fun evening.


Sunday October 11, 2009
Goose Lane Editions keeps its authors posted on sales rankings every two weeks. Don Messer: The Man Behind the Music is ranked number two this week, behind Reading by Lightning by Joan Thomas.


Wednesday October 7, 2009
Jazz vocalist Nikki Yanofsky is such a talent! Nikki was initially scheduled to perform on September 15 as one of the opening acts of the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival in Fredericton but illness forced her to reschedule. She is young – 14 or 15and at times that is very apparent as she chatters about her best friends and her school days and walks on stage wearing a party dress and running shoes. But her voice is that of an experienced and wordly woman. If you get a chance to hear this girl, don’t miss it.

No comments: